    SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
    On 06/28/05 01:06:54AM +0200, Prakash Punnoor wrote:

    > So I gave ext3 a try. Very robust, but at the same time slooow. I couldn't
    > bear it after some months. So I gave xfs another try. Yes, now it felt much
    > better. Still not that fast as reiserfs, IIRC, but better than the first time
    > I tried. I am still having xfs on / and it works pretty well, and is rather
    > robust against hard locks with about the same amount of data losing as
    > reiserfs. But what annoys me very much, is that I have to run xfs_repair by
    > hand and by booting from another partition. Even after a hard lock, the
    > partition mounts w/o problems and everything seems OK, but it only seems like
    > that. In fact after some hours/days of use, you'll notice oddities, like files
    > or directories which cannot be removed and things like that. After running
    > xfs_repair everything is back in order.

    I don't know what was going on with your systems, but I've been using XFS
    since the original 1.0 Linux release from SGI and I'd guess that I've had to run
    xfs_repair less than 10 times and most of them were on Alpha and Sparc64
    before issues with those arches got ironed out.

    Right now I have XFS on both Alpha and Sparc64 and I haven't had
    any issues on either box. Infact the Sparc64 box's XFS filesystem was
    converted from reiser3 because the some part of the filesystem got
    mysteriously corrupted in such a way that reiserfsck and the reiser3 driver
    both thought it was fine but accessing a certain file would cause a lockup.

    I really hope the reiser4 userland tools are a lot better than the reiser3
    tools, that's an area that reiserfs has lagged behind hugely IMO.

    > In between I gave an alpha (or rather several alphas) of reiser4 a try - but
    > not on /, just on /usr. Well, I wouldn't say it was extraordinary fast. In
    > fact it felt slower than reiserfs V3, but much more space efficient. And to my
    > surprise it was very robust as well. Hard-locks were no problem. Only annoying
    > then was, that unmounting regularly produced oops but later versions corrected
    > that. But nevertheless it didn't survive, as like V3, with time V4 became
    > slower and slower. In this case no year was needed, but just one month or
    > alike. So end of test...but in fact I'll give V4 another go in the near future.
    >

    > All in all I can say that every fs I tested was able to not smoke all of my
    > data, even using an instable machine - but only ext3, reiser v3 and v4 were
    > non-annoying. But xfs is majorly annoying in that respect. I hope that new
    > versions will be able to keep consistency w/o having to run xfs_repair every
    > time after a lock-up...
    >
    > But what I don't understand is, that sometimes even files, which were only
    > opened for reading, got overwritten with @^@^@ after a lock-up. I don't
    > understand the logics here, how this could happen.
    >
    > Thx for your time,
    >
    > Prakash

    Jim.

      Last update: 2005-06-28 03:18    [W:2.573 / U:0.112 seconds]