    SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:59:39 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu said:

    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:10:43 EDT, Hubert Chan said:
    >> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:40:29 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu said:

    >> Oh, I'm waiting for the fun the first time somebody deploys a
    >> plugin that has similar semantics to 'chmod g+s dirname/' ;)

    > (You *did* notice it was set-GID of a *directory* not an executable
    > file, right?)

    >> Reiser4 plugins have to be compiled into the kernel. (They're not
    >> plugins in the sense that most people use that word.) And any admin
    >> who would compile that kind of plugin into the kernel needs to have
    >> his head

    > Oh? You saying that it *wont* be permitted for a user to say:

    [...]

    Sorry. I completely misunderstood what you were getting at. I thought
    that you were implying that with the right kind of plugin, users would
    be able to get around security measures. Of course, this is probably
    true, which means that plugins need to be coded carefully (as with
    everything else in the kernel). My point that I was trying to make was
    that users can't install arbitrary plugins, and the set of plugins
    available is controlled by the administrator.

    Since that wasn't what you were talking about, I retract my previous
    email.

    --
    Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
    PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA