    SubjectRe: isa0060/serio0 problems -WAS- Re: Asus MB and 2.6.12 Problems
    Michael Krufky wrote:

    > Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> After downloading and compiling the latest version 2.6.12, my
    >> keyboard becomes unresponsive and dead following the boot process.
    >> This doesn't occur all of the time, but only some of the time.
    >> In particular, the follwing boot up message will be seen at
    >> sporadic places among the other text output:
    >>
    >> input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
    >>
    >> When this message does not occur anywhere in the boot messages,
    >> the keyboard is not functional. When the message does occur, then
    >> the keyboard will respond, but sometimes with an erratic key
    >> repeat rate. After rebooting several times I can usually get
    >> the system up and running smoothly, but with this current kernel
    >> 2.6.12, there is no guarantee that it will boot properly at any
    >> given time.

    >> My system is an ASUS P4B533 motherboard with a Pentium 3.6 Ghz
    >> Hyperthreaded processor and 1 GHz RAM. The kernel is the stock
    >> linux kernel (compiled with gcc-2.95.3) and the rest of my software
    >> is self-compiled (i.e. no distribution).
    >>
    >> If I disable ACPI, either by compiling a new 2.6.12 kernel or
    >> through boot up parameters, the keyboard will respond normally
    >> without any problems, but the kernel will not recognize my
    >> hyperthreaded processor. Only one CPU will be initialized and
    >> active.
    >>
    >> Thus, I can enjoy a problem-free 2.6.12 kernel if I choose to
    >> sacrifice ACPI and hyperthreading.

    >> If anyone has any suggestions or needs any more information,
    >> please CC me at the address frank.peters@comcast.net as I am not
    >> a subscriber to the list.
    >>

    > I am having the same problem with my Shuttle FT61 motherboard,
    > although I have not tried to disable ACPI... Until now I thought I
    > just had a faulty keyboard, as my method to fix this was to unplug the
    > keyboard and plug it back in after bootup. When this happens, I see
    > this in dmesg as the last line:
    >
    > input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
    >
    > I am also having problems with my AUX mouse, as seen in message
    >
    > Subject: 2.6.12-rc5-mm1 breaks serio: i8042 AUX port
    >
    > Frank, are you having problems with your ps/2 mouse port as well?
    >
    > I haven't spent enough time experimenting with this, as I thought it
    > might have had something to to with my hardware / KVM switch. Seeing
    > Frank's message is the reason why I've decided to chime back in on this.
    >
    > As a clarification, I have been having these keyboard problems
    > intermittently, regardless of whether I'm using -mm or mainline
    > kernel. I was NOT having this problem in 2.6.11 I wasn't having the
    > psaux mouse problems in 2.6.11 either .... I unplugged my psaux mouse
    > from that machine before 2.6.12-mainline was released, so I don't know
    > if those symptoms are still present. (using USB mouse now instead).
    > I am currently in my office, so I can't test this right now, and I
    > will be away for this weekend. I'll be able to make these tests again
> [...]
    I tested the above scenarios with 2.6.12-mm2 and everything is working
    normally again. ...still having input problems with older -mm kernels,
    but if -mm2 is working then I must assume that the problem, (at least MY
    problem) has already been fixed.

    Thank you!

      Last update: 2005-06-27 13:44    [W:2.603 / U:0.100 seconds]