    SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:46:06 +0100 Christoph Hellwig wrote:

    | On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 08:39:01PM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:
    | > Correct me if I am wrong:
    | >
    | > What exists currently in VFS are vector instances, not classes. Plugins,
    | > selected by pluginids, are vector classes, with each pluginid selecting
    | > a vector class. You propose to have the vector class layer (aka plugin
    | > layer) in reiser4 export the vector instance to VFS for VFS to handle
    | > for each object, rather than having VFS select reiser4 and reiser4
    | > selecting a vector class (aka plugin) which selects a method.
    | >
    | > If we agree on the above, then I will comment further.
    | I'm a bit confused about what you're saying here. What does the 'vector'
    | in all these expressions mean?
    | In OO terminology our *_operation structures are interfaces. Each particular
    | instance of such a struct that is filled with function pointers is a class.
    | Each instance of an inode/file/dentry/superblock/... that uses these operation
    | vectors is an object.
    | What I propose (or rather demand ;-)) is that you don't duplicate this
    | infrastructure, and add another dispath layer below these objects but instead
    | re-use it for what it is done and only handle things specific to reiser4
    | in your own code.

    I think that what Hans is trying to say is that the functionality
    that is handled by plugin_operations are a different dimension or
    vector from the inode/file/dentry etc. operations.
    Whether he is right or not is part of the discussion.
    and "plugin" is a bad name :(

    Is part of the problem that plugins are too extensible?
    I.e., the plugin_operations methods can do almost anything?

    I would want to see a list of methods that should be supported and then
    a reasonable infrastructure for supporting those.
    Pick one (like metadata) and drill down on how to support that.

      Last update: 2005-06-26 20:24    [W:0.021 / U:2.436 seconds]