SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] ndevfs - a "nano" devfs
On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 01:18:08AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> Now I just know I'm going to regret this somehow...
>
> Anyway, here's yet-another-ramfs-based filesystem, ndevfs. It's a very
> tiny:
> $ size fs/ndevfs/inode.o
> text data bss dec hex filename
> 1571 200 8 1779 6f3 fs/ndevfs/inode.o
> replacement for devfs for those embedded users who just can't live
> without the damm thing. It doesn't allow subdirectories, and only uses
> LSB compliant names. But it works, and should be enough for people to
> use, if they just can't wean themselves off of the idea of an in-kernel
> fs to provide device nodes.
>
> Now, with this, is there still anyone out there who just can't live
> without devfs in their kernel?
>
> Damm, the depths I've sunk to these days, I'm such a people pleaser...

Hmm. I'm not pleased. Perhaps you're pleasing the wrong people?

What we really need is a short HOWTO that covers:

- Do you really need a dynamic /dev?
- How to embed a static /dev in your embedded kernel with initramfs
- How to add a dynamic /dev to your kernel with udev