    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] ndevfs - a "nano" devfs

    On 06.24, Mike Bell wrote:
    > On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 01:18:08AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
    > > Anyway, here's yet-another-ramfs-based filesystem, ndevfs. It's a very
    > > tiny:
    > > replacement for devfs for those embedded users who just can't live
    > > without the damm thing. It doesn't allow subdirectories, and only uses
    > > LSB compliant names. But it works, and should be enough for people to
    > > use, if they just can't wean themselves off of the idea of an in-kernel
    > > fs to provide device nodes.
    >
    > As far as ideas go, this is pretty much all I asked for. A simple kernel
    > filesystem to export device nodes with names, rather than just the
    > numbers as sysfs does. The "detecting non-existant device names" thing
    > never meant anything to me personally, and if anyone does care this
    > gives them a simple place to add such a hook - unlike device names I
    > don't see why such a thing would be difficult to maintain as a patch.

    I had always asked for the simpler and minimal /dev to let a system boot
    and reach udev start, and I think this is even better !!

    > What's the method for bootstrapping this filesystem onto a system? Is
    > a mount from early userspace the only way you'd accept, or would a
    > kernel parameter to automount over /dev as devfs does be tolerable?

    I got sad when I read I did not support directories and so on, because
    that meant I could not run udev on it, but I have thought
    on an alernative for early userspace:
    - mount ndevfs on /mnt
    - cp -a /mnt /dev
    - umount /mnt
    - let init run /etc/rc.d/rc till it gets to mount /dev and start udev

    Just a question (kinda newbie's question):

    Does ndevfs to be mounted when a device is detected ? Or will it show
    all the registered devices when mounted ?

    TIA

    --
    J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()able!es> \ Software is like sex:
    werewolf!able!es \ It's better when it's free