SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
On Iau, 2005-06-23 at 23:04, David Masover wrote:
> > What for? It works just fine as it stands, AFAICS.
>
> So does DOS. Do you use DOS? I don't even use DOS to run DOS programs.

False argument. So does the pen, so do hinges on doors. Do you still
have hinges on your doors - probably.

> "Ain't broke" is the battle cry of stagnation.

Its also the battle cry of everyone over the age of 20 who also has a
real job to do 8)

> But, there are some things Reiser does better and faster than ext3, even
> if you don't count file-as-directory and other toys. There's nothing
> ext3 does better than Reiser, unless you count the compatibility with
> random bootloaders and low-level tools.

Certainly compared with reiser3 you've missed a few out including
resilience to disk errors (nearly nil on reiser3), and SMP scaling.

> You know how many I've had thrashed on Reiser4? Two. The first one was
> with a VERY early alpha/beta, and the second one was when I dropped a
> laptop and the disk failed.

Entirely or bad blocks ? The latter should have a minimal cost on a well
designed fs.

> Duplication of effort. With plugins, we can optimize the upper layers
> of ALL filesystems, regardless of the lower layers, in such a way that

In which case the features belong in the VFS as all those with
experience and kernel contributions have been arguing.

  Last update: 2005-06-24 01:59    [W:0.673 / U:0.844 seconds]