    SubjectRe: Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers
    Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> writes:
    > And if you have more than a few files dirty in your tree, I really think
    > it's much better to do "git status" and think about it a bit and select
    > the files you do want to commit than it is to just do "git commit" and let
    > it rip.
    >
    > Now, I could well imagine adding an "--all" flag (and not even allow the
    > shorthane version) to both git-update-cache and "git commit". So that you
    > could say "commit all the dirty state", but you'd at least have to think
    > about it before you did so.

    I think both modes of operation are useful -- sometimes I want to hack
    in the tree and later decide what to commit, and sometimes I know
    exactly what sequence of commits I want to make and do a series of
    "change-some-files then commit everything" steps.

    In the latter case, it's very convenient to have commit just grab
    everything and clear the slate for my next step. Morever, I use the
    latter style enough that I think even the requirement of a long option
    seems annoying and artificial; a short option would be fine though...

    -Miles
    --
    Any man who is a triangle, has thee right, when in Cartesian Space, to
    have angles, which when summed, come to know more, nor no less, than