SubjectRe: ARM Linux Suitability for Real-time Application
Russell King wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 09:52:40AM -0700, Daniel Walker wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Russell King wrote:
>>
>>>If you're just after some background process to run off interrupts with
>>>minimal interrupt latency, the good news is that you don't have to modify
>>>the kernel on ARM, and you certainly don't need any RT patches.
>>>
>>>If you use the FIQ, then your FIQ latency will be the time it takes the
>>>CPU to enter your FIQ function. Since the kernel _never_ disables FIQs
>>>in any way, FIQs have ultimate priority over everything else in the
>>>system.
>>>

>>Aren't FIQ's only on some ARM's ?
>

> Yes, but please read the original mail. I think you'll find my reply
> is completely relevant to the question being posed, which was based
> upon the AT91RM9200 SoC.

Thanks for the suggestions. The FIQ solutions sounds like the one to
use. I'll probably do a little testing sometime in the next few weeks
to determine the maximum loading I can place on the processor when
running some of the other peripherals simultaneously. If I have time
I'll test the -RT patches as well and post up some numbers for this
processor.

  Last update: 2005-06-23 05:49    [W:0.252 / U:0.796 seconds]