SubjectRe: PREEMPT_RT vs I-PIPE: the numbers, part 2
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Karim Yaghmour wrote:

> David Lang wrote:
>> what pinout do I need to connect the printer ports
>
> For LRTBF you'll find the pinout in the README of the package.
>
>> I'm thinking that the best approach for this would be to setup a static
>> logger and host and then one (or more) target machines, then we can setup
>> a small website on the host that will allow Ingo (and others) to submit
>> kernels for testing, queue those kernels and then run the tests on each
>> one in turn (and if it runs out of kernels to test it re-tests the last
>> one with a longer run)
>
> Things is you're going to need one logger per target. As for a
> small website, that sounds good enough. Don't know how feasible
> it would be but it may be desirable to also have a background
> task that automatically checks for new releases and conducts
> the tests automatically.

the only problem with that would be the need for these low-powered boxes
to compile the kernel.

>> how much needs to change in userspace between the various tests? I would
>> assume that between the plain, preempt, and RT kernels no userspace
>> changes are needed, what about the other options?
>
> There are no user-space changes needed, but you may need to
> install a few things that aren't there (LMbench, LTP, hackbench,
> etc.)
>
>> given the slow speed of these systems it would seem to make more sense to
>> have a full kernel downloaded to them rather then having the local box
>> compile it.
>
> It's your choice really, but if the tests are to be automated,
> then local compile shouldn't be a problem since you won't be
> waiting on it personally.

that depends on how quickly Ingo releases updates, it would be nice to
have a system fast enough to run the tests on each version before the next
is released :-)

>> does this sound reasonable?
>
> For me at least.
>
> Karim
> --
> Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
> Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits
> http://www.opersys.com || karim@opersys.com || 1-866-677-4546

-- C.A.R. Hoare

  Last update: 2005-06-23 04:24    [W:1.276 / U:0.064 seconds]