    SubjectRe: -mm -> 2.6.13 merge status (kexec/kdump)
    Vara Prasad <prasadav@us.ibm.com> wrote:

    > I think all the alternatives out there are less reliable than Kdump
    > based on the design. Vendors are currently shipping other solutions
    > since they didn't have any better alternatives until now. The existing
    > solutions in the two major distro's doesn't work lot of times. I don't
    > know what percentage of times they work as i only get involved when they
    > don't work, but i can certainly tell you they don't work many a times.
    > It is very embarrassing to tell the customer sorry we couldn't get dump
    > can you try reproducing the problem again. At least two major distros
    > expressed interest in replacing their current solutions with kdump once
    > it matures. As you are well aware we are doing testing with as many
    > configurations as we can to iron out the bugs. Hope this addresses some
    > of your concerns.

    Yes, thanks.

    And the meta-goodness here is that at least we have a *design* which is
    acceptable from this-is-sane standpoint. So at least everyone will be
    pulling in the same direction.

    So as I said, it's a bit of a bet at this point in time, but we've gone as
    far as we can get with it out-of-tree, so let's merge it and hope that it
    matures into an acceptably useful dumper.

      Last update: 2005-06-23 03:14    [W:4.239 / U:0.776 seconds]