SubjectRe: Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Greg KH wrote:
> Ok, this is annoying. Is there some reason why git doesn't pull the
> tags in properly when doing a merge? Chris and I just hit this when I
> pulled his tree and and was wondering where the tag went.

Tags are private in git (the same way branches are), which means that you
can have a million of your own tags and never disturb anybody else.

But, like branches, it means that if you want a tag, you need to know the
tag you want, and download it the same way you download a branch.