    SubjectRe: Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers
    Dave Jones wrote:
    > On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 06:24:54PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > >
    > > Things in git-land are moving at lightning speed, and usability has
    > > improved a lot since my post a month ago: http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/5/26/11
    > >

    > > 1) installing git
    > >
    > > git requires bootstrapping, since you must have git installed in order
    > > to check out git.git (git repo), and linux-2.6.git (kernel repo). I
    > > have put together a bootstrap tarball of today's git repository.
    > >
    > > Download tarball from:
    > > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/git-20050622.tar.bz2
    >
    > <blatant self-promotion>
    > daily snapshots (refreshed once an hour) are available at:
    > http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/git-snapshots/git/
    > </blatant self-promotion>
    >
    > > tarball build-deps: zlib, libcurl, libcrypto (openssl)
    > >
    > > install tarball: unpack && make && sudo make prefix=/usr/local install
    >
    > the sudo thing isn't necessary. make install by itself installs it
    > in ~/bin/ just fine.

    Clearly this does not work if installing in /usr/local, as I and others
    do (and as the example shows).

    > > After reading the rest of this document, come back and update your copy
    > > of git to the latest:
    > > rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/git.git
    >
    > See above, which allows you to skip this step ;)

    huh? Nothing allows you to skip that step. Regardless of when you suck
    the tarball, even from your snapshots, the users should not skip this step.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2005-06-23 01:03    [W:0.020 / U:60.652 seconds]