SubjectRe: Updated git HOWTO for kernel hackers
Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 06:24:54PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >
> > Things in git-land are moving at lightning speed, and usability has
> > improved a lot since my post a month ago: http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/5/26/11
> >

> > 1) installing git
> >
> > git requires bootstrapping, since you must have git installed in order
> > to check out git.git (git repo), and linux-2.6.git (kernel repo). I
> > have put together a bootstrap tarball of today's git repository.
> >
> > Download tarball from:
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/git-20050622.tar.bz2
>
> <blatant self-promotion>
> daily snapshots (refreshed once an hour) are available at:
> http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/git-snapshots/git/
> </blatant self-promotion>
>
> > tarball build-deps: zlib, libcurl, libcrypto (openssl)
> >
> > install tarball: unpack && make && sudo make prefix=/usr/local install
>
> the sudo thing isn't necessary. make install by itself installs it
> in ~/bin/ just fine.

Clearly this does not work if installing in /usr/local, as I and others
do (and as the example shows).

> > After reading the rest of this document, come back and update your copy
> > of git to the latest:
> > rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/git.git
>
> See above, which allows you to skip this step ;)

huh? Nothing allows you to skip that step. Regardless of when you suck
the tarball, even from your snapshots, the users should not skip this step.

Jeff

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans