    SubjectRe: PREEMPT_RT vs I-PIPE: the numbers, part 2

    Bill Huey (hui) wrote:
    > FreeBSD went through some slow down when they moved to SMPng, but not
    > the kind of numbers you show for things surrounding the network stack.
    > Something clearly bad happened.

    Note that the numbers are not freak accidents, they are consistent
    accross the various setups. So in total, that's 15 LMbench runs,
    all showing consistent _severe_ cost for preempt_rt. And this despite
    the fact that it comes down neck-to-neck with the ipipe on
    interrupt response time in those same tests. I would highly suggest
    setting up an automated benchmark for automatically running LMbench
    on every preempt_rt release and compare that to the vanilla kernel.

    Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
    Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits || || 1-866-677-4546

      Last update: 2005-06-22 22:05    [W:0.019 / U:1.192 seconds]