    SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] Re: usb sysfs intf files no longer created when probe fails
    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Stelian Pop wrote:

    > Le mercredi 22 juin 2005 à 07:59 -0700, Greg KH a écrit :
    > > On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 03:50:56PM +0200, Stelian Pop wrote:
    > > > I use the 'atp' input driver from http://popies.net/atp/ to drive this
    > > > touchpad. When removing the driver I also get an oops, possibly related
    > > > to the previous failure to create the sysfs file:
    > >
    > > Sounds like a bug in that driver, care to ask the authors of it about
    > > this?
    >
    > I am the author :)
    >
    > That driver worked until yesterday, and I was not able to find out about
    > any API change which would disrupt it now, that's why I reported this to
    > the list...

    This is a curious aspect of the driver model core. Should failure of a
    driver to bind be considered serious enough to cause device_add to fail?
    The current answer is Yes unless the driver's probe routine returns
    -ENODEV or -ENXIO, in which case the failure is not considered serious.

    IMO this is a perverse way of doing things. The existence of a device has
    nothing to do with what driver is bound to it. Either the device exists
    or it doesn't -- and if it exists, failure to bind a driver shouldn't
    prevent adding the device into sysfs. Right now, however, it does.

    Alan Stern

      Last update: 2005-06-22 17:53    [W:0.044 / U:29.384 seconds]