SubjectRe: -mm -> 2.6.13 merge status
Date

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:22:04 PDT, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> wrote:
> > > kexec and kdump
> > >
> > > I guess we should merge these.
> > >
> > > I'm still concerned that the various device shutdown problems will
> > > mean that the success rate for crashing kernels is not high enough for
> > > kdump to be considered a success. In which case in six months time we'll
> > > hear rumours about vendors shipping wholly different crashdump
> > > implementations, which would be quite bad.
> > >
> > > But I think this has gone as far as it can go in -mm, so it's a bit of
> > > a punt.
> >
> > I'm not particularly pleased with these,
>
> How come?
>
> > and indeed vendors ARE shipping
> > other crashdump methods.
>
> Which ones?

And which ones that __WORK__? We have a few customers out there from
both distros and all the crash dump methods that I've seen fail either
ALWAYS or ALMOST ALWAYS on customer sites. And yes, we hear about them
and I believe that our partners understand the pain that this causes
us and our customers.

Kexec/kdump has a chance of working reliably. The others are complete
crap.

gerrit

  Last update: 2005-06-21 23:18    [W:0.573 / U:0.200 seconds]