SubjectRe: git-pull-script on my linus tree fails..
Linus Torvalds wrote:
> It's not quite your "switch", though, because it will always _write_ to
> the current HEAD, it won't be switching the current HEAD around to another
> branch. I almost think that behavkiour would be more useful, I'll think
> about how to do it sanely.

The reason I requested git-checkout-script is to make git-switch-tree
pretty much trivial. The new git-switch-tree will sit on top of
git-checkout-script, like

if $1
switch HEAD to refs/heads/$1
git-checkout-script

So, as created, git-checkout-script is a useful foundation for other
scripts.

As of right now, I only have two[1] scripts that are non-vanilla:

git-switch-tree: retarget .git/HEAD to refs/heads/$1
git-new-branch: cp refs/heads/master refs/heads/$1

With git-checkout-script, both of these are now trivial and obvious.

Jeff

[1] Actually I have a third, 'git-changes-script'. The only reason I
use this is that it supports the old BitKeeper syntax of

cd my-repo-2.6
git-changes-script -L ../linux-2.6

to obtain a list of changes that are _only_ present in my-repo-2.6, and
not in ../linux-2.6 repo. git-changes-script works with .git/HEAD at
the repo level, and knows nothing of branches (which is fine).

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans