    SubjectRe: v9fs (-mm -> 2.6.13 merge status)
    On 6/21/05, Andrew Morton <> wrote:
    > v9fs
    > I'm not sure that this has a sufficiently high
    > usefulness-to-maintenance-cost ratio.

    I think v9fs/9P has some unique aspects which differentiate it from
    the other distributed system protocols integrated into Linux:
    a) it presents a unified distributed resource sharing protocol. It
    will be able to distribute devices, file systems, system services, and
    application interfaces.
    b) it provides non-caching RPC-style access to synthetic file systems
    which could be used with in-kernel file systems such as sysfs or with
    user-space synthetics such as those provided by FUSE
    c) its implementation supports transport independence enabling easy
    support for different interconnects (shared memory, Xen device
    channels, RDMA, Infiniband, etc.)

    v9fs-2.0 has a somewhat limited audience at the moment - but now that
    the initial implementation is more or less complete we are working to
    build applications on top of it (and provide a better server). It's
    being integrated into cluster projects at LANL and being looked at wrt
    virtualization I/O at IBM. Its our hope that these improvements and
    cluster applications will motivate more wide-spread use of the v9fs

      Last update: 2005-06-21 15:58    [W:0.020 / U:10.944 seconds]