    SubjectRe: [rfc] [patch] consolidate/clean up spinlock.h files
    Hello Ingo,

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > the attached patch (written by me and also containing many suggestions
    > of Arjan van de Ven) does a major cleanup of the spinlock code. It does
    > the following things:
    >
    > - consolidates and enhances the spinlock/rwlock debugging code
    >
    > - simplifies the asm/spinlock.h files
    >
    > - encapsulates the raw spinlock types and moves generic spinlock
    > features (such as ->break_lock) into the generic code.
    >
    > - cleans up the spinlock code hierarchy to get rid of spaghetti.
    >
    > most notably there's now only a single variant of the debugging code,
    > located in lib/spinlock_debug.c. (previously we had one SMP debugging
    > variant per architecture, plus a separate generic one for UP builds)
    >
    > also, i've enhanced the rwlock debugging facility, it will now track
    > write-owners. There is new spinlock-owner/CPU-tracking on SMP builds
    > too.
    >
    > the arch-level include files now only contain the minimally necessary
    > subset of the spinlock code - all the rest that can be generalized now
    > lives in the generic headers:
    >
    > include/asm-i386/spinlock.h | 116 +----
    > include/asm-i386/spinlock_types.h | 16
    > include/asm-x86_64/spinlock.h | 146 +------
    > include/asm-x86_64/spinlock_types.h | 16
    >
    > i've also split up the various spinlock variants into separate files,
    > making it easier to see which does what. The new layout is:

    I like the cleanup/consolidation of the debug variants,
    that was pretty much overdue. My only qualm is in the increase of header
    files (some of them could have remained 1 file), unless of course this new
    structure makes work on a followup/dependent patch (is there one?) easier.

    Thanks,
    Zwane

      Last update: 2005-06-02 23:28    [W:4.233 / U:0.020 seconds]