SubjectRe: [patch 0/5] x86_64 CPU hotplug patch series.
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Ashok Raj wrote:

> Andrew: Could you help test staging in -mm so we can get some wider testing
> from those interested.
>
> *Sore Point*: Andi doesnt agree with one patch that removes ipi-broadcast
> and uses only online map cpus receive IPI's. This is much simpler approach to
> handle instead of trying to remove the ill effects of IPI broadcast to CPUs in
> offline state.
>
> Initial concern from Andi was IPI performance, but some primitive test with a
> good number of samples doesnt seem to indicate any degration at all, infact the
> results seem identical. (Barring any operator errors :-( ).
>
> It would be nice to hear other opinions as well, hopefuly we can close on
> what what the right approach in this case. Link to an earlier discussion
> on the topic.

I don't think it's worth the extra boot time complexity to use the boot
workaround and i'm not convinced the extra mask against cpu_online_map
slows down that path enough to show up compared to waiting for remote
processor IPI handling to commence/complete.

Thanks,
Zwane

  Last update: 2005-06-02 22:34    [W:0.571 / U:0.012 seconds]