SubjectRe: [patch] inotify, improved.
On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 09:37 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:

Hi, Chris.

> On a newsgroup someone was using inotify, but was asking if there was
> any way to also determine which process/user had caused the notification.
>
> Is this something that would make sense (as an optional bit of
> information) in inotify?

It is definitely something that could be added, technically speaking.

I have been hesitant, though. I do not want feature creep to be a
deterrent to acceptance into the Linux kernel. I also think that there
could be arguments about security. Sending the event is one thing,
telling which pid (and thus what user, etc.) caused the event is
another. For example, we can make the argument that read rights on a
file are tantamount to the right to receive a read event. But can we
say that read rights are enough for a unprivileged user to know that
root at pid 820 is writing the file? I don't know.

I'd add it if there were consensus. I don't know that it makes sense,
though.

Robert Love

  Last update: 2005-06-17 17:47    [W:0.053 / U:0.404 seconds]