SubjectRe: system hangs with no warning or errors
On 6/17/05, Charles Leggett <CGLeggett@lbl.gov> wrote:

> I'm running a dual opteron, debian unstable based system, which hangs
> at random intervals with no errors being written to any of the log
> files. I'm currently using a 64 bit kernel 2.6.11-rc5, but I've seen
> this behaviour with a series of kernels since 2.6.9. Sometimes the
> system sometimes runs for several weeks between hangs, and sometimes
> hangs twice in a day. When it hangs, the screen freezes, and is
> completely unresponsive to all keyboard/mouse input, and will not
> respond to pings over the network. It is not an X problem.
>
> I was previously running CentOS with a 2.4.21 kenel for several months,
> and experienced no problems, so I don't think it is a hardware problem.
>
> I know that this is a very anemic bug report, I'm sorry I can't offer
> any more information. Any suggestions for things to look for, what
> to instrument to get more detailed information, or things to try are
> welcome.

The very first thing I would try would be to try the most recent
kernels; the stable kernel 2.6.11.12 and the development kernels
2.6.12-rc6, 2.6.12-rc6-git8 & 2.6.12-rc6-mm1 to see if the issue has
already been addressed.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>