    SubjectRe: [patch] vm early reclaim orphaned pages
    On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 20:34 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Nick Piggin <> wrote:
    > >
    > > We have workloads where orphaned pages build up and appear to slow
    > > the system down when it starts reclaiming memory.
    > >
    > > Stripping the referenced bit from orphaned pages and putting them
    > > on the end of the inactive list should help improve reclaim.
    > Presumably if do_invalidatepage() failed, there's some reason why this page
    > is not reclaimable (eg, JBD is still dinking with it). Hence there's a
    > very good chance that kswapd won't be able to reclaim it either.

    Yeah that is a problem I was worried about. Perhaps just stripping
    PageReferenced and putting it on the *front* of the inactive list
    would be better?

    > Adding some instrumentation would be useful: set some new page flag on
    > these pages and then accumulate the success/failure stats in vmscan.c, see
    > what they say.

    [snip patch]

    > A standalone function in swap.c would be nicer.

    Will do. Thanks.

    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

      Last update: 2005-06-17 05:45    [W:0.021 / U:39.248 seconds]