    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] Re: [RFD] FS behavior (I/O failure) in kernel summit
    Hi!

    > >Kenichi-San,
    > >
    > >Part of the problem is that we are limited by the constraints of the
    > >POSIX specification for error handling.
    > >
    > Ted, if I understand you correctly, I agree with you. ;-)
    >
    > What users need is for a window to pop up saying "the usb drive is
    > turned off" or "we are getting checksum errors from XXX, this may
    > indicate hardware problems that require your attention".
    >
    > Now that GUIs exist, and now that more errors are possible because the
    > kernel is more complex, perhaps kernel error handling should be
    > reconsidered. I don't have the feeling that anyone has felt themselves
    > authorized to take a deep look at how this ought to be designed. I mean
    > sure, there are sometimes console windows that things get printed into,
    > but unsophisticated users basically want to be prompted if something

    I believe syslog can handle this just fine. Just add some gui code to
    watch syslog, and if high-enough (KERN_CRIT?) message happens, display
    that message to user.

    ...which brings interesting question of "how to internationalize this
    beast", but list of KERN_CRIT messages should be reasonably small.

    Pavel
    --
    teflon -- maybe it is a trademark, but it should not be.