SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] Re: [RFD] FS behavior (I/O failure) in kernel summit

> >Kenichi-San,
> >
> >Part of the problem is that we are limited by the constraints of the
> >POSIX specification for error handling.
> >
> Ted, if I understand you correctly, I agree with you. ;-)
> What users need is for a window to pop up saying "the usb drive is
> turned off" or "we are getting checksum errors from XXX, this may
> indicate hardware problems that require your attention".
> Now that GUIs exist, and now that more errors are possible because the
> kernel is more complex, perhaps kernel error handling should be
> reconsidered. I don't have the feeling that anyone has felt themselves
> authorized to take a deep look at how this ought to be designed. I mean
> sure, there are sometimes console windows that things get printed into,
> but unsophisticated users basically want to be prompted if something

I believe syslog can handle this just fine. Just add some gui code to
watch syslog, and if high-enough (KERN_CRIT?) message happens, display
that message to user.

...which brings interesting question of "how to internationalize this
beast", but list of KERN_CRIT messages should be reasonably small.

teflon -- maybe it is a trademark, but it should not be.

  Last update: 2005-06-16 23:31    [W:0.110 / U:2.408 seconds]