SubjectRe: [RCF] Linux memory error handling
> 	A common question is whether single bit (corrected) errors will
> turn into double bit (uncorrected) errors. The answer is it
> depends on the underlying cause of the memory error. There are
> some errors that show up as single bits, especially transient
> and soft errors, that do not degrade over time. There are other
> failures that do degrade over time.

This sounds like one of our primary motivations for working on memory
hotplug remove. Detection of recoverable errors that degrade to
unrecoverable errors, but don't because we remove the memory before it
gets that far.

Much PPC64 hardware/firmware already supports this detection.

  Last update: 2005-06-15 22:52    [W:0.075 / U:0.796 seconds]