    SubjectRe: Tuning ext3 for large disk arrays
    On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 16:06, Peter Chubb wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    > We've been doing a few scalability measurements on disk arrays. We
    > know how to tune xfs to give reasonable performance. But I'm not sure
    > how to tune ext3, and the default parameters give poor performance.
    >
    > See http://scalability.gelato.org/DiskScalability/Results for the
    > graphs.
    >
    > iozone for 24 10k SATA disks spread across 3 3ware controllers gives a
    > peak read throughput on XFS of around 1050M/sec; but ext3 conks out
    > at around half that. The maximum single threaded read performance we
    > got was 450M/sec, and it's pretty constant from 12 through 24
    > spindles. We see no difference between setting -E stride=XX and
    > leaving this parameter off.
    >
    > The system uses 64k pages; we can set XFS up with 64k blocks; it may
    > be that part of the problem is that ext3 can't use larger blocks. We
    > repeated the XFs measurements configuring the kernel and filesystem to
    > use 4k pages/blocks, and although the throughput is lower than with
    > the 64k page size, it's still significantly better than with ext3.
    > Moreover, configuring XFS with 4k blocks, but using 64k pages gives
    > results (not shown on the Wiki page) almost the same as the 64k
    > pages/64k blocks.

    Ted mentioned that you can force ext3 mkfs to use "64k" as blocksize
    through "-b 65536" option.

    And also, while using 64K blocksize - can you compare performance with
    other mount options like: "writeback" and "nobh,writeback" ?
    I am curious.

    Thanks,
    Badari

      Last update: 2005-06-15 03:23    [W:0.021 / U:0.676 seconds]