SubjectRe: Race condition in module load causing undefined symbols
Thanks Prarit,

I updated mkinitrd from 4.1.18 to 4.2.15 and udev from 039 to 058.
This appears to have cured it on my work machine, I will try the
other box later.

Looking at Documentation/Changes, which appears to still be the
official repository for required tool versions, it seems somewhat
dated, and makes no mention of mkinitrd version requirements.