SubjectRe: Attempted summary of "RT patch acceptance" thread

Bill Huey (hui) wrote:
> I'm tell'n you that there is no way that this patch is going to
> die. The commercial vendors and the general community is going
> use this once they figure out what it can do and there will be
> no stopping it. You can bet on some body extremity that this
> will happen. It's inevitable and ultimately the future of Linux
> whether they like it or not.

Please cool down. This is a rather extreme position.

The fact of the matter is that it is the community that is driving
Linux, not the vendors. If the community decides something isn't
going in, there isn't much any company can do about it, except
maintain it outside of Linux for years on end, which economically
speaking is just not feasible. That's why inclusion is so important.

Bare in mind that I wasn't even talking about whether or not
PREEMPT_RT was making it in. I was only talking about the logistics
of inclusion of any RT extension. Please people, get a grip, we're
just trying to figure out the best way to do this stuff.

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits