SubjectRe: PREEMPT_RT vs ADEOS: the numbers, part 1
Kristian Benoit wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 02:15 -0700, Sven-Thorsten Dietrich wrote:
>
>>Its a good start, and its excellent that its being looked at. Thank
>>you
>>guys very much for taking the time to compare these 2 very different
>>systems.
>

> Youre welcome !
>

>>I think the comparison should absolutely compare identical community
>>kernels. The comparison between two different release candidates is
>>questionable. rc2 to rc4 doesn't seem like much, after all, how much
>>code could go into a release candidate. (diff | wc -l)
>

> I agree with that, but as the results show, there does'nt seems to be
> much difference impact the numbers in the tested field.
>

>>Also, I question testing -rc code in the first place, except for
>>regression purposes.
>

> I tested the -rc code in orther to be able to compare the patched
> kernels against theird own source.
>

>>How does that effort compare for porting ADEOS code? If several weeks
>>of
>>work are invested in a comparison of rc2 to rc4, how much additional
>>work is needed to bring Adeos up to the base for the current RT
>>kernel?

It has already been done using 2.6.12-rc2/x86 + RT-V0.7.44-03 a few
weeks ago. Since it was the first time such merge was attempted, it took
me a week to get a functional patch which could run a complex "client"
OS such as RTAI over it. Now that the infrastructure is in place, I
guess that the task should be simpler, since hopefully, I now better
understand the implications of having PREEMPT_RT into the kernel codebase.

--

Philippe.