SubjectRe: Race condition in module load causing undefined symbols
Andrew Morton wrote:
> Stephen Lord <lord@xfs.org> wrote:
>
>>I am having troubles getting any recent kernel to boot successfully
>> on one of my machines, a generic 2.6GHz P4 box with HT enabled
>> running an updated Fedora Core 3 distro. This is present in
>> 2.6.12-rc6. It does not manifest itself with the Fedora Core
>> kernels which have identical initrd contents as far as the
>> init script and the set of modules included goes.
>>
>> The problem manifests itself as various undefined symbols from
>> module loads.
>

> Peculiar. Module loading is all synchronous, isn't it?

Well, things are getting more bizarre, adding sleeps between
module loads cures the problem with missing symbols. I then
run into a problem with device mapper/lvm which seems to be
having problems setting up devices. In this section of
the init script:

umount /sys
echo Mounting root filesystem
mount -o defaults --ro -t ext3 /dev/root /sysroot
mount -t tmpfs --bind /dev /sysroot/dev
echo Switching to new root
switchroot /sysroot
umount /initrd/dev

The correct number of volumes are found, but adding a showlabels
command to the init script fails to display them, it spits out
errors about readdir failures in /dev/Volume00

The umount of /sys fails, the root mount fails and obviously, the
switchroot then fails.

I tried using the same config options as the redhat supplied
kernel without any success, this still has module symbol
problems.

I am baffled, but it looks like it is not a symbol table problem.

Steve

  Last update: 2005-06-11 05:34    [W:0.071 / U:0.152 seconds]