SubjectRe: [linux-pm] [RFC] Add some hooks to generic suspend code
Hi!

> > > Because there is an existing API, via /dev/apm_bios, and that's all X
> > > understands ! And because I've always done that ;)
> >
> > Try stopping doing that ;-).
>
> Certainly not short-term. Again, it would be nice to have something
> better, but heh, you need to go step by step. I have this big rework
> where I re-implement most of the pmac suspend code on top of the generic
> code (cleans up a lot of stuff) but I don't want to touch the userland
> ABI for now, that would be too much of a chance. And /dev/apm_bios X
> notofication stuff seems to actually fix problems for some users.

Ok.

> I'd rather not break an existing and relied upon userland interface now,
> at least not until we have a well accepted replacement that has been
> around for some time.
>
> I do agree however that it may be nice to make the APM emulation code
> more generic & shared between architectures. That's something I intend
> to look into next. But I would like my current stuff to get in after
> 2.6.12 is released.

Well, but that means that we can get those "please don't use these
callbacks if you can avoid it" messages, right :-).

Seems like lots of stuff is going to happen in pm post-2.6.12: I'd
like to finally fix pm_message_t, too...
Pavel

  Last update: 2005-06-01 11:14    [W:0.053 / U:0.128 seconds]