    SubjectRe: OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog
    Jim Crilly wrote:

    > I'm not an audiophile, I can't tell the difference between a mp3 encoded at
    > 128k and one encoded at 160k so I really doubt I could tell the difference
    > between what cdda2wav and what most other DAE programs would produce. So
    > given that the quality of the rips will be effectively equal to my ears,
    > I'll use whatever's most convenient.

    Apologies for continuing in a separate post, I seem to have had and did
    a send before I was ready.

    The reason I use cdrecord is just what you say, convenience. I have
    written tons of scripts over the years to use it, and perl programs to
    prepare it's input and commands, and I have no reason to change because
    it whines at me when I say /dev/hde instead of 2,0,1 or whatever. It's
    in a config file, I only need to see it once, so I don't care.

    Joerg gave us a working program when cdwrite died, he keeps it up to
    date, and I'm happy with it still. I wish he would learn to "play well
    with others," but he doesn't CARE if users like the interface, and he
    possibly keeps the ProDVD closed source just to piss people off. He's
    smart enough to know that contributions work better than closed source,
    he just doesn't care to change his policy. His choice.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO TMR Associates, Inc