    SubjectRe: /proc/cpuinfo format - arch dependent!
    Ricky Beam wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Nico Schottelius wrote:
    >>When I wrote schwanz3(*) for fun, I noticed /proc/cpuinfo
    >>varies very much on different architectures.
    > Yep, and it has been this way since the begining of time.
    >>So that one at least can count the cpus on every system the same way.
    > Hah. Give me a minute to stop laughing... I argued the same point almost
    > a decade ago. Linus decided to be an ass and flat refused to ever export
    > numcpu (or any of the current day derivatives) which brought us to the
    > bullshit of parsing the arch dependant /proc/cpuinfo.

    Don't ever take up a career as a diplomat, no one in their right mind
    would want such a tactless person for a diplomatic job, say UN ambasador
    for instance.

    Linus did what was probably right then. I would agree that there is room
    for something better now. Just to prove it could be done (not that this
    is the only or best way):

    cpu0 {
    socket: 0
    chip-cache: 0
    num-core: 2
    per-core-cache: 512k
    num-siblings: 2
    sibling-cache: 0
    family: i86
    features: sse2 sse3 xxs bvd
    # stepping and revision info
    cpu1 {
    socket: 1
    chip-cache: 0
    num-core: 1
    pre-core-cache: 512k
    num-siblings: 2
    sibling-cache: 64k
    family: i86
    features: sse2 sse3 xxs bvd kook2
    # stepping and revision info

    This is just proof of concept, you can have per-chip, per-core, and
    per-sibling cache for instance, but I can't believe that anyone would
    make a chip where the cache per core or per sibling differed, or the
    instruction set, etc. Depending on where you buy your BS, Intel and AMD
    will (or won't) make single and dual core chips to fit the same socket.

    The complexity wasn't needed a decade ago, and I'm not sure it is now,
    other than it being easy to display if people don't complain about
    breaking the existing format.

    -bill davidsen (

      Last update: 2005-05-09 21:31    [W:0.039 / U:185.656 seconds]