SubjectRe: [suse-amd64] False "lost ticks" on dual-Opteron system (=> timer twice as fast)
Date
On Sunday 08 May 2005 15:40, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Your system should be using the HPET timer to work exactly around
> this. AMD 8000 has HPET. Can you post a boot.log?

Will come tomorrow - I don't sit right at the machine, and while trying
to figure out what happens, I accidentally shut it down or caused it to
crash (I can't log in remotely ATM).

> The current design is that only the BP runs the main timer, and the
> other CPUs use the APIC timer and don't do any own time keeping. I
> think you misread the code quite a bit.
>
> And lost jiffie handling can't be dropped no.
>
> A common problem however is that the irq 0 is misrouted somehow,
> and gets broadcasted and processed on multiple CPUs. That results
> in the time running far too fast. You can check that by looking
> at /proc/interrupts.

Yes, that's sort of what's happening. /proc/interrupts shows that all
CPUs overall get an even share of IRQ 0 - but each IRQ0 is processed by
just one CPU. How can I examine and set the interrupt routing?

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/

  Last update: 2005-05-08 18:26    [W:0.376 / U:0.068 seconds]