    SubjectRe: /proc/ide/hd?/settings obsolete in 2.6.
    > As stated in my last email, I am using EDD.  I only need the legacy heads
    > and sectors. I can figure out the cylinders by that and the size of the
    > disk.

    Which legacy size do you want though - the partition label, the disks
    opinion this week or the CMOS. They can all be different. Linux used to
    play "guess roughly what Windows might guess".

    > I have some utils (mkdosfs comes to mind) that do not let the user specify
    > heads/sectors/cyls (it doesn't use cyl actually).

    Presumably they need to follow the MS sequence of guesses then, even on
    non PC systems ? So partition table, cmos, drive in that order if I
    remember rightly.

      Last update: 2005-05-05 18:28    [W:0.019 / U:3.060 seconds]