SubjectRe: /proc/ide/hd?/settings obsolete in 2.6.
Alan Cox wrote:
> On Iau, 2005-05-05 at 13:13, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > Please be aware that new applications are expected to use
> > /sys/firmware/edd/default_* instead of legacy HDIO_GETGEO ioctl
> > and there is currently no way to set these sysfs entries (maybe it
> > would be worthwile to add such functionality?).
>
> Please be aware that edd is platform specific, buggy and dependant on
> firmware features that many machines don't have. Don't use the EDD data
> its junk. Bartlomiej's advice isn't something I'd agree with on this
> point.

As stated in my last email, I am using EDD. I only need the legacy heads
and sectors. I can figure out the cylinders by that and the size of the
disk.

> The fundamental issue behind all this though and the problem with
> HDIO_GETGEO and friends is that geometry is basically a convenient
> fiction for legacy software that needs an answer and apps that interact
> with it.

Again, I am working with legacy stuff. I'm trying to move away from 2.4 due
to the convienences of 2.6

> For PC type systems you actually want to go and look at the partition
> table itself and then follow that if one exists. If it doesn't exist
> then you are in firmware magic land and you need to look at the drive's
> current geometry reporting as well as the BIOS CMOS data, EDD on the
> boxes that have it, openprom etc and so forth. Or better yet look at
> parted and at least keep all the crap in one place.

I have some utils (mkdosfs comes to mind) that do not let the user specify
heads/sectors/cyls (it doesn't use cyl actually).