    SubjectRe: /proc/ide/hd?/settings obsolete in 2.6.
    On Iau, 2005-05-05 at 13:13, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
    > Please be aware that new applications are expected to use
    > /sys/firmware/edd/default_* instead of legacy HDIO_GETGEO ioctl
    > and there is currently no way to set these sysfs entries (maybe it
    > would be worthwile to add such functionality?).

    Please be aware that edd is platform specific, buggy and dependant on
    firmware features that many machines don't have. Don't use the EDD data
    its junk. Bartlomiej's advice isn't something I'd agree with on this
    point.

    The fundamental issue behind all this though and the problem with
    HDIO_GETGEO and friends is that geometry is basically a convenient
    fiction for legacy software that needs an answer and apps that interact
    with it.

    For PC type systems you actually want to go and look at the partition
    table itself and then follow that if one exists. If it doesn't exist
    then you are in firmware magic land and you need to look at the drive's
    current geometry reporting as well as the BIOS CMOS data, EDD on the
    boxes that have it, openprom etc and so forth. Or better yet look at
    parted and at least keep all the crap in one place.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-05-05 17:02    [W:0.023 / U:0.040 seconds]