SubjectRe: /proc/ide/hd?/settings obsolete in 2.6.
Hi,

On 5/5/05, Wakko Warner <wakko@animx.eu.org> wrote:
> Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > On 5/5/05, Wakko Warner <wakko@animx.eu.org> wrote:
> > > If this interface is obsolete and will be removed, is there any non-obsolete
> > > way of telling the kernel what geometry I want to use for this ide device?
> >
> > Yes, physical geometry - through boot parameters and logical geometry
> > is not needed for IDE layer to function properly.
>
> I did not ask if it was needed for it to function, I asked how to set it
> since the "settings" file is obsolete. Yes, I do need to set this. I want
> to know what the "non-obsolete" way is. A project I'm working on uses linux
> to do something with the drive and that is dependant on the geometry that
> linux provides to programs be the same as what the bios thinks. I know how
> to obtain the bios values. I have to set these values to the kernel so
> everything functions properly.
>
> If there is no "non-obsolete" way of doing this, then fine, I'll continue
> with the settings thing.

Please be aware that new applications are expected to use
/sys/firmware/edd/default_* instead of legacy HDIO_GETGEO ioctl
and there is currently no way to set these sysfs entries (maybe it
would be worthwile to add such functionality?).

Thanks,
Bartlomiej

  Last update: 2005-05-05 14:16    [W:0.042 / U:0.400 seconds]