SubjectRe: Scheduler: SIGSTOP on multi threaded processes
On Wed, 4 May 2005, Alex Riesen wrote:

> On 5/4/05, Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 02:16:24PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>>> The kernel doesn't do SIGSTOP or SIGCONT. Within init, there is
>>> a SIGSTOP and SIGCONT handler. These can be inherited by others
>>> unless changed, perhaps by a 'C' runtime library. Basically,
>>> the SIGSTOP handler executes pause() until the SIGCONT signal
>>> is received.
>>>
>>> Any delay in stopping is the time necessary for the signal to
>>> be delivered. It is possible that the section of code that
>>> contains the STOP/CONT handler was paged out and needs to be
>>> paged in before the signal can be delivered.
>>>
>>> You might quicken this up by installing your own handler for
>>> SIGSTOP and SIGCONT....
>>
>> I don't know what RTOSes you've been working with recently, but none of
>> the above is true for Linux. I don't think it ever has been.
>>

> I don't even think it was true for anything. It's his usual way of
> saying things.

Nope, I thought he was talking about the terminal stopper/starter,
SIGTSTP used for X-ON and X-OFF. I thought he was sending that signal,
timing it, then restarting with SIGCONT. You can't restart or
even trap a SIGSTOP signal.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.11 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

  Last update: 2005-05-05 02:45    [W:0.163 / U:0.244 seconds]