    SubjectRe: [PROBLEM] Machine Freezes while Running Crossover Office
    Linus Torvalds <> writes:

    > On Mon, 30 May 2005, Kyle Moffett wrote:
    > >
    > > If X is hung and not accepting data on any of its sockets, then this
    > > could hang the Xterm in the background, and therefore hang the printout
    > > from the "date" process.
    > Nope. There's a pty in between, and the pty buffer is much bigger than
    > just a few lines, so even if an xterm is hung, the program displaing on an
    > xterm wouldn't be affected normally (unless it reads from the tty or
    > outputs several kB of data).

    Well "date" won't hang but you won't actually see any output for it on the

    But I'm unclear how switching to VT1 is going to work since that requires that
    X capture the VT keypress. If X is hung and not responding to keyboard and
    mouse inputs it's not going to see that keypress either and isn't going to

    I think the best way to test in this situation is to SSH in from another
    machine and run commands like this over SSH. Even better would be a serial

      Last update: 2005-05-31 15:57    [W:0.031 / U:1.484 seconds]