SubjectRe: OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog
Dmitry Torokhov <dtor_core@ameritech.net> wrote:

> > So let me sum up: Never rely on things that cannot be made 100%
> > unique in case you like to run security relevent software like cdrecord.

> Because for the most types of devices out there they don't make any sense
> and just provided for compatibility with legacy software.

Well, this is the way most OS on the planet deal with SCSI.

And please explain me why the Linux kernel internally uses these numbers
for driver instancing? Is the Linux kernel a piece of legacy software?

> Also, from a bit different perspective - do you also want users to mount
> If not why writing application should use different addressing?

Using SCSI addresses is just the way that works more universally for
sending SCSI commands. There are several OS that don't support /dev/ names
and all other UNIX like OS do not artificial hide the SCSI addresses
from userland programs.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)