SubjectRe: Machine Freezes while Running Crossover Office
Date
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:20 am, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 20:41 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > Now, assuming you can confirm that doing:
> >
> > echo 5 > /proc/sys/kernel/INTERACTIVE_DELTA
>
> The hang goes away with a magic number of 6 (although it does not seem
> as smooth as with turning off interactivity completely). With 5, I still
> get the hang but it is noticeable shorter than before. Number 4 gives me
> the same old hang.
>
> Ingo, are there other patches you wanted me to try out?

Generally when I was playing with it I found that if something was critically
dependant on the _value_ of a tunable rather than the algorithm design, it
would simply take a different piece of hardware or test case to induce the
problem, and the algorithm would have to be changed instead of tweaking the
parameters. This will require a some thought as to the design and an
algorithm change for the long term rather than tweaking a value :-|

None of this behaviour existed when the interactivity code went in during 2.5
and I could never have anticipated this pipe design change coming and
affecting it in this way.

Con

  Last update: 2005-06-01 04:26    [W:0.059 / U:0.136 seconds]