    SubjectRe: RT patch acceptance
    On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 17:47 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
    > On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 17:22 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
    > > I wouldn't call RTAI, RTLinux or a nano-kernel (embedded with Linux)
    > > "Diamond" hard. Maybe "Ruby" hard, but not diamond. Remember, I use to
    > > test code that was running airplane engines, and none of those mentioned
    > > would qualify to run that.
    > I think trying to make these types of distinctions is a waste of time.
    > What matters is the MTBF of the software relative to the hardware on a
    > given system. It would be stupid to use a commercial RTOS for a cell
    > phone because they fall apart in a year anyway and users don't seem to
    > care. Ditto anything running on PC hardware. For an airplane the MTBF
    > obviously must be more in line with that hardware which hopefully is way
    > more reliable.

    Agreed. I only brought up the stupid names just to show that there's
    not a black and white aspect to what RT is. It's mainly a black art
    since there's no way to know how many bugs a program has, and how do you
    truly calculate the MTBF, other than running it on the hardware itself?

    > Only the engineer who designs the system knows for sure, so if the RT
    > app people say PREEMPT_RT is good enough for a *very* large set of the
    > applications that they currently need a commercial RTOS for, they should
    > be given the benefit of the doubt. To say otherwise is to assert that
    > you know their hardware (be it desktop PC, digital audio workstation, or
    > airplane) better than they do.

    True, but do they really know how good PREEMPT_RT is, compared to those
    that develop it and the kernel? But I'm fighting to get PREEMPT_RT into
    the kernel, since I really think it would be used by quite a lot in the
    industry. Just not the normal Desktop user.

    -- Steve

      Last update: 2005-06-01 01:47    [W:0.021 / U:14.712 seconds]