    SubjectRe: [linux-pm] [RFC] Add some hooks to generic suspend code

    > Why do you need it? Do you initiate suspend without userland asking
    > you to?

    Because there is an existing API, via /dev/apm_bios, and that's all X
    understands ! And because I've always done that ;)

    > Anyway, it should not be arch-dependend. We need one good mechanism of
    > notifying userland, not one per architecture.

    We need to define a new mecanism, I think. In the meantime, my APM
    emulation works though and I won't drop it.

    > > > Could this be marked deprecated, too?
    > > >
    > > > Alternatively, proper way of notifying X (etc) should be created, and
    > > > done from generic code....
    > >
    > > Sure, ideally. However, existing X knows how to deal with APM events,
    > > and thus APM emulation is an important thing to get something that
    > > works. Pne thing I should do is consolidate PPC APM emu with ARM one as
    > > I think Russell improve my stuff significantly.
    >
    > Perhaps we need apm emulation on i386, too?

    Maybe. It may help in some cases.

    Ben.

      Last update: 2005-06-01 01:35    [W:0.020 / U:31.000 seconds]