    SubjectRe: OT] Joerg Schilling flames Linux on his Blog
    Joerg Schilling <> writes:
    > Dmitry Torokhov <> wrote:
    >> > Cdrecord includes the needed features to do what you like, but do
    >> > not asume that you will be able to force me to make nonportable and
    >> > Linux specific interfaces a gauge for the design of a portable
    >> > program. If you read the cdrecord man page, you know that you
    >> > could happily call cdrecord dev=green_burner.....
    >> >
    >> No, that static mapping is not good. I have an external enclosure
    >> that does firewire and USB. I want to be able to use "sony-dvd" to
    >> access it no matter whether it is onnected to USB bus or Firewire and
    >> whether there are other devices (disks) on USB or firewire. It is
    >> possible to do with udev creating a link to /dev/sony-dvd.
    > I am not sure what you like to do.....

    He wants to be able to access his dvd recorder via dev=/sony-dvd. And it
    should not matter how it is connected (USB/firewire).

    > But what you claim is simply impossible.

    No it is not.

    > As you started to introduce the allegory with the colors, let me make
    > an assumption based on your claim:
    > - Buy two identical drives and varnish one in red and the other
    > in green.

    That is indeed impossible, but as soon as there are two different
    drives, it is possible with udev and not possible with a static

      Last update: 2005-05-30 12:51    [W:0.021 / U:30.916 seconds]