SubjectRe: Mercurial 0.4b vs git patchbomb benchmark
Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 02 May 2005 11:49:32 EDT, Bill Davidsen said:
>
>>Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 01:39:59PM -0700, Matt Mackall wrote:
>

>>>-#!/usr/bin/python
>>>+#!/usr/bin/env python
>>> #
>>> # mercurial - a minimal scalable distributed SCM
>>> # v0.4b "oedipa maas"
>>
>>Could you explain why this is necessary or desirable? I looked at what
>>env does, and I am missing the point of duplicating bash normal
>>behaviour regarding definition of per-process environment entries.
>

> Most likely, his python lives elsewhere than /usr/bin, and the 'env' call
> results in causing a walk across $PATH to find it....

Assuming that he has env in a standard place... I hope this isn't going
to start some rash of efforts to make packages run on non-standard
toolchains, which add requirements for one tool to get around
misplacement of another.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)