    > rpc_delete_timer()
    > if (timer->base)
    > // not taken
    > del_timer_sync();
    > mempool_free(task);
    > timer->function(task):
    > // task already freed/reused
    > __rpc_default_timer(task);

    Ah ok, I was misreading the above. Now I see your point.
    The race if hit loses the synchronization provided by
    del_timer_sync() in my case. Thanks for being persistent.

    The other possibility to fix the original problem within
    the scope of the RPC code was to replace the bit state of
    RPC_TASK_HAS_TIMER with a count so we don't obscure the
    fact the timer was requeued during the preemption window.
    This happens as rpc_run_timer() does an unconditional
    clear_bit(RPC_TASK_HAS_TIMER,..) before returning.

    Another would be to check timer->base/timer_pending()
    in rpc_run_timer() and to omit doing a clear_bit()
    if the timer is found to have been requeued.

    The former has simpler locking requirements but requires
    an rpc_task data structure modification. The latter does
    not and is a bit more intuitive but needs additional
    locking. Both appear to provide a solution though I
    haven't yet attempted either.

    Anyone with more ownership of this code care to comment
    on a preferred fix?

      Last update: 2005-05-28 19:53    [W:0.020 / U:13.492 seconds]