SubjectRe: RT patch acceptance
From
On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 03:34:17AM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:
> On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 03:22:59AM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:
> > On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 07:55:00AM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > > You're on crack as usual, but today you go much too far. XFS doesn't
> > > ahave anything to do with you're so Hard RT pipedreams. The so-called
> > > 'RT' subvolulme only provides a more determinitistic block allocator.
> > > GRIO doesn't require any RT guarantees, it's entirely about I/O scheduling
> > > and has been ported to various operating systems with sane locking semantics.
> >
> > I actually when I talked to the SGI folks about 5 years ago at Usenix
> > I got a different story where they really were thinking about hacking
> > a tasklet to handle some of this IO stuff going. So I'm going to bet
> > that you're wrong about this based on that conversation.
>
> I'd like to add that 16x way SGI boxes can play and record something like
> 300+ individual streams that are frame accurate. An SGI buddy of mine
> mention that CNN actually uses such a box to handle all of their video
> data in real time.

Also, to continue this open minded discussion and reply of yours. How do
you think IO is submitted to a system like that so that those guarantees
are met ? Obivously some kind deterministic mechanism is pushing those
requests to the wire.

bill

  Last update: 2005-05-28 12:49    [W:0.188 / U:1.300 seconds]