SubjectRe: weird X problem - priority inversion?
On Fri, 27 May 2005, Lee Revell wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 01:11 -0700, David Lang wrote:
>> remember that the low pri screensaver is just generating the image to be
>> displayed, it's the high pri X server that's actually doing the work to
>> display it.
>
> Then there needs to be some mechanism to handle it, either in X or the
> kernel. Other OSes do not require you to turn off the screensaver to
> avoid a DoS - they do the obvious thing and run the screensaver at the
> lowest priority.
>
> The problem may be software 3D rendering (I did not have the VIA driver
> enabled as I did not realize it was in the kernel yet). Maybe the X
> server should do the work in a low priority thread. But it sure
> shouldn't DoS the system. Other OSes do not have this problem.

Actually they don't (or at least didn't the last time I took windows
training), if you have a CPU intensive screen saver on a windows server it
will seriously load down the box when it kicks in.

David Lang

-- C.A.R. Hoare

  Last update: 2005-05-27 19:41    [W:0.052 / U:3.624 seconds]