SubjectRe: Creating patches for source
randy_dunlap wrote:

>On Thu, 26 May 2005 20:21:43 -0500 Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
>
>| Hi,
>|
>| Quick and fast question here. I'm starting to create patches (diff)
>| :-) so, I googled for a while and most say that one could use the diff
>| -up or diff -Naur. They both look to me very similar and honestly -up
>| works for me. Still, what command will make the cleanest patch and which
>| one is mostly used?
>
>You looked at 'man diff', right?

Yes.

>and linux/Documentation/SubmittingPatches, which says:
>Use "diff -up" or "diff -uprN" to create patches.

well, the "or" doesn't tells me the that there is a best way. That's the
deal.

>So you use the options that are appropriate for your patches.
>
>If you are patching only one file (or a few files in the same
>directory), -up is usually fine.

Excelent.

>If you have patches in multiple directories and you want diff
>to search in subdirectories for patches, you need to use -r
>(recursive).
>If you are adding new files, you need to use -N.

Adding new files into the whole source? Like it will make a patch with
the full content and then create the file when patching the source?
Thanks for that one, sounds like I will need to use it.

>Is there a specific problem that you are trying to solve?

I was just patching a README :-) and the patch looked too big and/or
bulky, so I noticed it was using a lot of lines from the document, but I
was only changing a single letter in a word. i.e. I changed/added 20
letters in total, and the patch is like 200 words.

I think it's just me being a paranoid patch-newbie.

Thanks,

.Alejandro

>---
>~Randy

  Last update: 2005-05-27 04:53    [W:0.039 / U:0.200 seconds]